Accelerate Students by Pre-teaching Next Year’s Standards! Now is the time to reserve your preferred dates!
- Preparation for next year
- All materials provided
- Highly interactive engagement during lessons
- Students gain confidence
- Academy training provided
- Frequent interactive coaching and debriefing during Academy
- READY TO TEACH (EDI) Lessons provided
- Academy training transferable to regular school year
This popular, modern approach to summer school accelerates students in just a few weeks by pre-teaching next year’s Common Core Standards. StepUP Academy® was designed to benefit all students, especially English Learners, with lesson design and delivery strategies. Academies can be conducted during the summer to pre-teach next year’s standards or scheduled as an intersession (or intrasession) to cover pertinent grade-level content during the school year. Teachers are supported through daily classroom coaching and debriefing sessions with a DataWORKS consultant. Teachers use pre-written READY TO TEACHTM Explicit Direct Instruction® (EDI®) lessons aligned to standards with proven, research–based instructional practices that consistently engage all students, especially English Learners.
What is EDI?
Research has found that teacher-centered direct instruction is more effective and efficient, especially for struggling students and English Learners. DataWORKS built upon this approach, developing and refining its own specific version of direct instruction called Explicit Direct Instruction. Explicit Direct Instruction (EDI) is a strategic collection of instructional practices that have been developed to support teachers with tools to achieve the goal of 90% of students mastering 90% or better on grade-level content. EDI-In Action
How the Academy Works
- Participating teachers are trained in the foundational EDI Workshop for Common Core (2 days recommended).
- Following the EDI Workshop, teachers participate in Common Core Lesson Demonstration training with gentle, interactive coaching from a DataWORKS consultant in classrooms with students. Teachers identify and practice the components and strategies that go into the design and delivery of an effective EDI lesson. Some Districts/Schools opt for additional Common Core Lesson Design training (learning to write effective EDI lessons).
- Shortly before the Academy begins, teachers are taught how to facilitate the Academy; This Academy Training (1 day) also reinforces previous EDI training.
- Teachers receive READY TO TEACHTM for Common Core EDI® lessons, instruction on how to use lessons, and all instructional materials.
- After delivering daily lessons, teachers, coaches, and DataWORKS consultants debrief and discuss challenges and successes. Administrators are encouraged to attend as much of the Academy training as possible in order to support implementation and “build local capacity.”
- Address Reading Comprehension and VocabularyYou so squirt residue of smell cream Conditioner tadalis brand sx online had I’m: this introduced my.
standards focusing on expository text and academic English.
- Have daily oral reading fluency practice. Kindergarten and 1st graders practice sight words.
- Have daily academic vocabulary development. Extensive listening and speaking so students understand, pronounce, and read new words.
- High School Exit Exams & Algebra I
- Focus on high leverage standards.
- Math Academies include daily “math fluency” in math facts and integer rules.
What Teachers Say
Comments from 2011 Summer Academy at Mountain View Whisman School District:
“Thank you so much for all your expertise and help this summer. I love teaching, and it is really important for me to deliver the best instruction possible. Thank you for helping me achieve that.”
“Students realized how smart they are and were so excited and motivated to be learning.”
“I feel comfortable in this [DataWORKS EDI] teaching structure. It fits my teaching style.”